Monday, October 19, 2009

*Block*!

I have a confession to make. I have no topic for this post. Most people in they're lives have suffered from writer's block. Me? I have the opposite. Writer's flood. I have so many ideas floating around in my head that I just can't choose one. And to make matters worse, none of them are very good. Sure, they could be buffed up and worked on, but you know what they say about lipstick on a pig. (If you don't, you shouldn't try Googling it. Trust me.) And at times like this I, as both the author of this blog and a self-convinced writer, have a few choices to make.

I could try posting one of the many topics in my head, but I won't. Why? Because I have an obligation to you my readers to produce only the best quality posts I can! And I am aware that a small handful of people are reading this blog. And I am aware that they are doing it out of threat of physical injury. But, there is a chance that one day this blog will be read by thousands of people a day, and I don't want to receive comments in the future that read "I really love your writing now that you've sobered up".

I could, as implied in several posts now, drink to inspire myself, but it's a double-edged sword. To narrow the field down to a few decent post ideas I would have to drink quite a bit. And by the time I was done the topics would include toilets with chin-rests and my liver, which would be running screaming down the street. Not only that, the post would either be full of spelling and grammatical errors or else I would have to wait until I've sobered up. Frankly, I'm having a hard enough time squeaking these posts in before midnight as is, so neither is really an option.

Of course, there is one final way. I could take this swirling mass of ideas in my head and use my frustration in a positive manner. I could focus the lack of focus into something so different from all the others that it will practically write itself! Yes, I can see it now. Hunched over in front of my monitor, sweat forming on my brow as I type furiously. The keys keeping pace only with the fluttering of my heart as I breathe life into a masterpiece! A miracle!

... Or a post about having nothing to post. Same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment