Saturday, October 17, 2009

Winter Wonderland my left foot!

I have a confession to make. I hate snow. And the cold. And cold snow. I love warm snow however (i.e. rain). And, because I live in the northeast, I get plenty of chances to express my hate. Now, I didn't always hate snow. In fact, growing up in Georgia, snow was a blessing. An inch of snow (known in the northeast as "a waste"), and school was closed. By noon, you were free to ride your bike like nothing happened. Then I moved...

My first year up north I was greeted by almost a foot of snow on a Monday. Amazing! No school! ... Not quite. As I ran down stairs, ready to watch cartoons and daytime television until my brain melted, I was stopped by my parents. As I attempted in standard nine-year old fashion to explain that since this was more snow then I had ever seen, school was surely canceled, they merely pointed out that this was considered "light snowfall" up here. I would still need to attend school, and no I couldn't just fake sick. My hatred began then.

As I got older, I learned the joys of shoveling, driving on black ice, and horrific sledding accidents. Needless to say, my views on snow haven't improved much. So, imagine my "delight" when I went outside this past Thursday and saw snow falling and sticking to the ground. ... In fall. Or "the season heard of but never seen" up here. Some people may have used this as a chance to catch the "first snowflake-on-your-tongue of the season". I used it as a chance to scream "It's f@#$in' October! You can't give us two goddamn months!" at the sky, along with enough expletives to melt the snow around me.

So, I now get to look forward to a winter that begins before Halloween and that will hopefully end before Labor Day... Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment